Virometix today announced the appointment of Anna Sumeray as Chief Executive Officer.
Schlieren, Switzerland (February 1, 2019)
– Virometix, a privately held biotechnology company developing a new generation of vaccines and immunotherapeutic drugs for the prevention and treatment of infectious and oncology diseases, today announced the appointment of Anna Sumeray as Chief Executive Officer. She succeeds Arin Ghasparian, who will remain member of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors wishes to thank Mr Ghasparian for his valuable contribution to the development of the Company, as Chief Executive Officer during the last six years.
Anna Sumeray brings more than 25 years of business leadership in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Ms. Sumeray currently serves as Managing Partner of Alacrita, a global life science consulting firm where she is responsible for the European operations and Commercial Practice.
> For more information please download PDF release
Virometix and GeoVax to Collaborate on HPV Immunotherapy Program
Schlieren, Switzerland (November 14, 2018)
– GeoVax Labs, Inc. (OTCQB: GOVX), a biotechnology company developing human vaccines, and Virometix AG, the company who is developing next-generation Synthetic Virus-Like Particle (SVLPTM) based vaccines announced that the companies have started a collaboration on the development of a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. The collaboration will include preclinical animal testing of GeoVax’s MVA-vectored HPV vaccine candidates in combination with Virometix’ synthetic HPV vaccine candidate. “We are pleased to enter into this collaboration, which will expand our commitment to the development of cancer immunotherapeutics”, said Arin Ghasparian, PhD, Virometix’ Chief Executive Officer. ”We appreciate the clinical and preclinical development work done by Geovax on their vaccine candidates for viral diseases and cancer. We believe that a combination of MVA-vectored HPV vaccine candidates with our SVLPTM platform could be potentially beneficial for the immunotherapy of HPV-induced cancers and look forward to working with GeoVax on this combination”.
> For more information please see newmediawire.com/news
Virometix to Present Vaccine Development Progress at the Annual World Vaccine Congress Europe 2018 and further conferences
Schlieren, Switzerland (September 27, 2018)
– Virometix, the privately held Swiss biotechnology company who is developing a new generation of fully synthetic vaccines and immunotherapeutic drugs for the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases and cancer, today announced that its CEO, Dr Arin Ghasparian will present during the 19th World Vaccine Congress Europe on October 29, 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal.
> View complete release
> Download PDF release
The Presentation is entitled «Smarter Vaccine Designs Using Synthetic Virus-Like Particle Technology and Structurally Optimised Antigens».
The presentation will describe Virometix’ unique approach to vaccine design providing examples from its development programs.
Dr Armando Zuniga, Virometix’ Chief Scientific Officer, will present an abstract with preclinical data of its RSV vaccine candidate V-306 at the 11th International Respiratory Syncytial Virus Symposium, which is taking place from October 31 to November 4, 2018 in Asheville, USA. The Abstract is entitled «Structure-based design of a fully synthetic RSV vaccine candidate based on conformationally stabilized epitope mimetics and self-assembling lipopeptides».
An abstract with preclinical proof-of-concept data of its cancer vaccine program will be also presented by Dr Melissa Vrohlings, Senior Scientist, at the Annual World Immunotherapy Congress 2018 from October 29 to 31 in Basel, Switzerland.
Virometix closes Extension Financing Round and appoints Harry Welten as new independent Board Member
Schlieren, Switzerland (August 28, 2017)
– Virometix today announced that it has raised CHF 1.2 million from new shareholders in an extension to its recent Series A financing round. The additional funds will be used to further speed up development of its vaccine candidates for RSV and cancer immunotherapy. Furthermore, the company announced the appointment of Harry Welten, MBA as new independent member of its Board of Directors.
> View complete release
> Download PDF release
Mr. Welten brings in more than 20 years of international senior executive experience, 17 of which as Chief Financial Officer in biotech. He is CFO of Kuros AG (formerly Cytos) and a member of the Board of Kanyos, BiognoSYS, ProteoMediX and Horizon Pharma. Furthermore, he is a member of the foundation council of HBM Foundation. Mr. Welten will replace Prof. John Robinson, who stepped down from the Board of Directors earlier this year to now support the company as a member of the Scientific Advisory Board. With the appoint of Mr Welten, Virometix takes a further step in to enhance its professional expertise in the Board of Directors.
Mr Welten, stated „Joining Virometix’ Board of Directors is a true honor for me. I am looking very much forward to helping create value for people, shareholders and employees“
“We are delighted to have attracted additional funding from experienced investors and cordially welcome Harry Welten to our Board of Directors, said Arin Ghasparian, CEO of Virometix “With his background in finance he will be an excellent fit for us as we progress with our development.”
Pierre Morgon, Chairman of Virometix, added “With the successful completion of our financing rounds, Virometix is on course to deliver its objectives and to advance several vaccine and cancer immunotherapy candidates. Harry will bring pivotal experience and skills in terms of financial management and deal making at an important time of the life of the company”.
Virometix Closes Financing Round
Schlieren, Switzerland (May 19, 2017)
– Virometix today announced that it has raised CHF 5.0 million in new equity financing to support further development of its vaccine candidates for RSV and cancer immunotherapy. The investment was backed by existing shareholders and new private investors with longstanding experience in the life science sector.
> View complete release
> Download PDF release
Virometix plans to use the new funds to expand its operations and progress its vaccine candidates for infectious and viral diseases and cancer to next inflections points, including the start of a phase 1 clinical study for its lead vaccine V306 for RSV, which has shown excellent safety and strong efficiency in preclinical models. The financing round was substantially oversubscribed.
Dr Pierre A. Morgon, Chairman of the Board, said: “With this infusion of smart capital from investors experienced in healthcare, and the network of world-class experts supporting the company, Virometix is ideally positioned to leverage its attractive platform with its strong intellectual property position”.
“We are delighted to have received substantial support from our shareholders as well as several new private investors, said Arin Ghasparian, CEO of Virometix, „The new financing will enable us to advance our lead RSV vaccine candidate more rapidly into clinical development, to further define our solution in oncology immunotherapy, and further underpins the attractiveness of our value proposition. “
Emmanuel Savioz, recently appointed CFO, commented “This financing provides the resources we need to reach important value-inflection milestones in 2018 and beyond.”
Virometix announces new appointments
Schlieren, Switzerland (January 25, 2017)
– Virometix today announced the appointment of Dr. Pierre A. Morgon, PharmD, LL.M., MBA as Chairman and Dr. Isaac Kobrin as independent member to its Board of Directors. In addition, the company announced the nomination of Emmanuel Savioz, MBA as new Chief Financial Officer. With these appointments Virometix is taking further steps to enhance professional expertise within the Board of Directors and senior management of the company. Furthermore, the Scientific Advisory Board has been strengthened with the addition of emeritus Prof. Paul-Henri Lambert, MD.
> View complete release
> Download PDF release
Dr. Pierre Morgon
is a doctor of pharmacy and MBA holder with additional qualifications in Business Law. He has over 30 years experience up to C-level positions in large life science companies, including Sanofi Pasteur, and biotech firms such as AJ-Biologics. In these roles, he has provided leadership in the construction and expansion of vaccine portfolios and partnerships, with turnaround initiatives and with financing for start-up vaccine companies. Dr. Morgon is also Regional Partner for Switzerland at Mérieux Développement, Non-Executive Director to the Board of Theradiag, as well as Non-Executive Director to the Board of Eurocine Vaccines.
Dr. Morgon stated: «I am thrilled to join Virometix at a pivotal phase where we will strive to demonstrate the value of the company’s broad proprietary technology, both in the field of vaccines and in cancer immunotherapy.»
Dr. Isaac Kobrin, MD
is an internist with 15 years experience in academic medicine both in Israel and the USA. With 23 years of experience in the Pharma industry, he was responsible for the worldwide clinical development of key compounds at Roche for 10 years and subsequently in Actelion for 13 years. In Actelion, Dr. Kobrin was the head of clinical development and member of the executive committee for 10 years and later he was appointed as Chief Medical Officer and Chairman of the Strategic and Portfolio Board of the company. During the last 4 years, Dr. Kobrin has been supporting several Pharma and biotechnology companies as a Board member and/or as an advisor.
Emmanuel Savioz, MBA
has 15 years experience in financing and business. He co-founded and is a Board member of several high tech companies in Switzerland including Phi Pharma, HYT, and Preciflex. Over the past 7 years, Mr. Savioz arranged more than CHF 70 million of equity financing for high tech companies in Switzerland. Previously, he worked in New York as an investment banker in M&A handling large international transactions in consumer goods and healthcare. Emmanuel Savioz is former member of the Admission Committee of the MBA Program at IMD in Lausanne, Switzerland, and holds an MBA from the Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley, USA.
Prof. Paul-Henri Lambert, MD
is now associated with the Centre of Vaccinology in the Department of Pathology and Immunology at University of Geneva. He is directing the International Advanced Course of Vaccinology (ADVAC) organized under the auspices of the Fondation Mérieux and University of Geneva. He is a member of the Governing Board of the Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative (TBVI), past-chairman of the Human Vaccine Committee of the International Association for Biologicals (IABS) and of the Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety of the World Health Organization (WHO). In 1987, he was appointed as chief of Microbiology and Immunology at the World Health Organization and in 1994, chief of the Vaccine Research and Development, WHO Global Program for Vaccines and Immunization. During this time he was deeply involved in co-ordination of research aiming at the development of vaccines against diseases of major importance in developing countries.
«We are delighted to have some highly respected people like Dr. Morgon, Dr. Kobrin, Mr. Savioz and Prof. Lambert with their background and expertise come on board”, said Dr. Arin Ghasparian, CEO of Virometix. “They will be a perfect fit for us, as we are progressing very well with the development of our vaccine products, our scientific research and in discussions on future partnerships.»
Virometix further strengthens the Advisory Board
Zurich, Switzerland (April 12, 2016)
– Virometix today announced the addition of Dr. Martin L. Moore, an Assistant Professor at Emory University, Director of the Emory Children’s Center for Childhood Infections and Vaccines (CCIV) to its Advisory Board. Dr. Moore is a recognized leader in RSV research and has been running an NIH-funded laboratory in the Department of Pediatrics at Emory since 2008. His work on RSV vaccines was recognized as Emory University’s Innovation of the year in 2013.
Furthermore, the Advisory Board will be strengthened by the nomination of Dr. Urs Regenass, who has over 30 years’ experience in drug discovery. Most recently he worked as Senior Director Oncology at Actelion Pharmaceuticals. Before that Dr. Regenass was member of Novartis’ global research management board and VP Drug Discovery and CEO of the Switzerland site at Discovery Partners International, a CRO headquartered in San Diego. He obtained his PhD in Cell Biology at the Biocenter, University of Basel.
Virometix closes oversubscribed financing round
Zurich - Schlieren, Switzerland (October 26, 2015)
– Virometix today announced the closing of a new financing round, which involved existing shareholders as well as a new private investor and was oversubscribed. Virometix will use the proceeds from this financing round to expand its operations and advance its vaccine candidates for infectious and viral diseases.
Virometix extends its Board of Directors and appoints a new chairman
Zurich - Schlieren, Switzerland (July 27, 2015)
– Virometix today announced the appointment of Dr. Ivan Csendes as new independent Board member and Chairman of the Board of Directors. Dr. Csendes brings in a longstanding and broad expertise from the pharmaceutical industry, including 23 years work experience at the Business Development and Licensing Departments of Ciba-Geigy and Novartis, where he was responsible for in- and out-licensing of drug candidates as well as for various drug delivery and device projects. Dr Csendes is a founding member and Board member of Swiss Healthcare Licensing Group and member of the European Pharma Licensing Group. Dr. Csendes holds a PhD in Chemistry from the University of Basel, Switzerland.
Virometix closes extension financing round
Zurich - Schlieren, Switzerland (November 19, 2014)
– Virometix today announced that it has closed an extension to its recent financing round. Virometix will use the proceeds to further speed up the development of its vaccine candidates for infectious and viral diseases.
Virometix moves to a new location
Zurich - Schlieren, Switzerland (July 21, 2014)
– Virometix today announced relocation of its operations to new premises in order to better meet the business needs of the company. The new office is located at the BIO-TECHNOPARK Zurich–Schlieren, which hosts a cluster of life science companies ranging from recent University spin-offs to leading global pharmaceutical companies.
View all News
Virometix closes first financing round and appoints a new member to its Board of Directors
Zurich, Switzerland (May 5, 2014)
– Virometix today announced that it has closed the first external financing round. Virometix will use the proceeds to advance its vaccine candidates for infectious and viral diseases. Furthermore the company announced the appointment of Ralf Rosenow, attorney-at-law and partner of the law firm Blum&Grob, Attorneys at Law Ltd., to its Board of Directors. Mr. Rosenow has served as a legal counsel to the company since 2012. He has longstanding experience in contract law, particularly within the biotech, pharmaceutical and medtech industry, and further advises companies in financings and capital market transactions, including IPOs.
Virometix expands Advisory Board
Zurich, Switzerland (November 12, 2013)
– Virometix today announced the addition of Prof. Richard Ulevitch, Chairman Emeritus at The Scripps Research Institute and Dr. Ivan Csendes, founding member and former president of Swiss Pharma Licensing Group to its Advisory Board (AB). The AB is chaired by Virometix' co-founder Prof. John A Robinson. The AB includes distinguished scientists and experienced industrial experts: Prof. Gerd Pluschke, Dr. Georges Haas and Dr. Rinaldo Zurbriggen.
Patents granted in USA, Japan and Australia
Zurich, Switzerland (June 3, 2013)
– Virometix today announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has allowed the issuance of a patent on Virometix' core technology on May 28, 2013. Patents were also granted on May 24, 2013 in Japan and on April 26, 2013 in Australia. Patents in other countries are expected to be granted in due time.
Virometix extends collaboration agreement with German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ)
Zurich, Switzerland (March 10, 2013)
– Virometix and the German Cancer Research Center (Deutsches Kerbsforschungszentrum, DKFZ) extended the collaboration in the field of tumor virus vaccination. At the end of 2011 Virometix and DKFZ signed a cooperation agreement with the aim of developing novel innovative adjuvant-free synthetic vaccine candidates against HPV/cervical cancer.
KTI supports Virometix' pneumococcal vaccine program
Zurich, Switzerland (September 3, 2012)
– Virometix, along with its collaborators at the University of Zurich (UZH) and the Swiss Tropical Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH), today announced that they have been granted CHF 0.4 million from the Swiss Innovation Promotion Agency KTI. The grant supports funding of the preclinical development of next-generation pneumococcal vaccine candidates based on Virometix' proprietary SVLP and SAM technology platforms.
European patent granted
Zurich, Switzerland (July 11, 2012)
– Virometix today announced that the European Patent Office has granted a key patent on Virometix' core technology. Patents in other countries are expected to be granted in due time.
Virometix obtains CTI Start-up Label
Zurich, Switzerland (June 20, 2012)
– Virometix today announced that it has received the CTI Start-up label. The label is given as a seal of quality to high potential SMEs after successful completion of a three-stage coaching and certification process.
Virometix receives W.A. de Vigier Award
Zurich, Switzerland (June 6, 2012)
– Virometix today announced that it has received the W.A. de Vigier award. The award was presented to Virometix at the award ceremony held in Solothurn on June 21, 2012. Since its founding in 1987, the W. A. de Vigier Foundation has promoted innovative and pioneering business ideas with a prize of CHF 100’000 every year.
The award was given to specifically recognize Virometix for the development of a fully synthetic next-generation synthetic vaccine against S. pneumoniae, which is designed to be stable without use of cold-chain and overcomes shortcomings of current pneumococcal vaccines in terms of limited strain coverage and demanding production.
Virometix starts collaboration with German Cancer Research Center DKFZ
Zurich, Switzerland (November 11, 2011)
– Virometix and the German Cancer Research Center (Deutsches Kerbsforschungszentrum, DKFZ) have signed a cooperation agreement in the field of HPV/cervical cancer. The collaboration will help advance the development of novel innovative adjuvant-free synthetic vaccine candidates for cervical cancer based on Virometix' proprietary SVLP and SAM technology platforms.
Virometix, UZH and STPH join efforts to develop next-generation pneumococcal vaccine
Zurich, Switzerland (June 4, 2011)
– Virometix, the University of Zurich and the Swiss Tropical Public Health Institute have launched a collaborative effort aimed at developing next-generation pneumococcal vaccine candidates against disease caused by S. pneumoniae. Virometix will lead the program and coordinate the activities.
Virometix among winning teams in Venture 2010 business plan competition
Zurich, Switzerland (May 20, 2010)
– Virometix' team was awarded a prize for one of the 10 best business ideas, and its business plan attained sixth place in the Venture 2010 business plan competition by McKinsey, ETH and KTI/CTI. In all, 191 business ideas and 142 business plans were submitted.
KTI/CTI supports Virometix' R&D with a Discovery project grant
Zurich, Switzerland (October 1, 2009)
– Virometix and the University of Zurich (UZH) today announced that they have been awarded a CHF 0.75 million Discovery project grant from the Swiss Innovation Promotion Agency KTI/CTI. The Discovery Project grant will support funding of basic R&D aimed at refining the proprietary SVLP technology for applications in vaccine and immunotherapeutic drug design. Virometix and UZH signed a license agreement under which UZH grants to Virometix an exclusive license to all patent rights developed in the project by UZH.